If you’re tired of tying knots in your hair every time you get ready to go out, don’t worry! You can still wear beautiful, stylish braids without the hassle and pain that come with traditional styles. With knotless braids, you simply slip them over your head and out the window you go! Here are five awesome hacks every woman needs when rocking knotless braids to make sure her hair stays healthy and gorgeous.
1) Use A Leave-In Conditioner
You don’t have to put a lot of work into your hair when you wear box braids, but you need to be careful that your tresses are healthy and nourished. Here are some tips on how to use a leave-in conditioner, as well as other accessories that can help you love your knotless braid journey even more.
1) Conditioning is key for knotless braid extensions. A good leave-in conditioner will ensure that your hair stays strong and healthy, especially if you’re wearing it for an extended period of time.
2) Use a heat protectant before applying any product or heating tools to maintain the integrity of the style. This will also prevent breakage and make sure the style lasts as long as possible. 3) Add shine to your knotless braid by using a curl defining cream or wax before blow drying.
4) Protect your scalp from irritation with petroleum jelly while you sleep by coating the ends of your box braids with it.
5) Keep the rest of your head moisturized with shea butter, jojoba oil, avocado oil, coconut oil and olive oil. These oils work wonders for retaining moisture in all textures of hair!
2) Put Your Hair In A High Bun
1) Start off by putting your hair in a high bun. This will give you more room to do the rest of your hair. Plus, it will help keep your hair from getting in the way while you’re doing your makeup or brushing your teeth.
2) Get some box braids and make them into a knotless braid.
3) Put on some oil or lotion and rub it through the ends of your hair.
4) Use a brush to get rid of any tangles you may have missed.
5) Wrap your box braids around the base of the bun and secure with pins, bobby pins, or whatever else you have on hand (hair ties work too).
3) Protect Your Hair While You Sleep
Dry your hair, rub a healthy amount of oil or cream into your scalp and then tie it up in a knotless braid. This will help keep the moisture in and also protect against dryness and breakage.
Wash your hands before you touch your hair to avoid any oils from transferring onto the braids.
Apply oil or cream to the ends of your hair before tying them up in a knotless braid – this will help to seal in moisture and keep split ends at bay.
Sleep on silk pillowcases as they are gentler on both your skin and hair. If you don’t have access to these, wrap yourself with a silk scarf when you go to sleep instead.
4) Use A Satin Scarf Or Bonnet
The best way to keep your braids knot-free is with a satin scarf or bonnet. This will absorb excess oils from your hair, preventing knots from forming and keeping your braids looking fresh for days! You can also use an old t-shirt as a substitute for a bonnet. It may not be as silky soft, but it’s probably what you have laying around the house! Lastly, don’t forget to put oil in your hair before going to bed. Doing so will help prevent knots from developing overnight and protect against breakage.
5) Deep Condition Once A Week
A weekly deep conditioning treatment is a great way to keep your hair healthy. Doing this will help you avoid feeling like you have dry hair. Your deep conditioner should be applied to wet hair and left on for 20 minutes or more before washing it out with your regular shampoo and conditioner. It’s recommended that you only use a few drops of the deep conditioner in order to avoid weighing down your braids too much.