Ukraine-Russia War: India told the UN Security Council that despite repeated requests from both Russia and Ukraine, a safe corridor has not been established for the evacuation of stranded Indian students in the eastern Ukrainian city of Sumy and it is “deeply concerned” about it. ‘ Is. India’s local representative and ambassador to the United Nations TS Tirumurti told the Security Council, “India has been calling for an end to all forms of hostilities.”
He said that India has demanded a safe and unhindered route for the evacuation of all innocent citizens, Indian citizens from Ukraine. Tirumurti said, “We are deeply concerned that despite our requests from both sides, a safe corridor for our students stranded in Sumi has not been created.” Has managed to make a comeback. Tirumurti said, “We also helped people from other countries who had contacted us in this regard to reach their country.”
Today is the 13th day of the war between Ukraine and Russia. The third round of talks between the two countries remained fruitless. Meanwhile, President of Ukraine Zelensky has released a video claiming to be in Kyiv. He said in the video that I am not scared of anyone. I am not hiding. He further said in this video that we are trying our best to win the war. This claim has been made by releasing the video on behalf of the President of Ukraine at a time when it is constantly being said by the Russian media that Zelensky has fled his country. Earlier also this claim was made on behalf of Zelensky.
Russia’s attacks continue even after ceasefire
Earlier, Russia announced the opening of humanitarian corridors in many areas with a ceasefire from Monday morning to evacuate civilians. Although the evacuation routes are mostly going towards Russia and its allies, Belarus. It was not immediately clear whether civilians were being evacuated. Despite the new announcement of the corridors, Russian forces continued rocket attacks on some Ukrainian cities and fierce fighting in some areas. Thousands of Ukrainians are trying to escape safely as Russia continues to fire in cities in north, south and central Ukraine. The Russian Defense Ministry said on Monday that the ceasefire was announced for the evacuation of civilians from the capital Kyiv, the southern port city of Mariupol, Ukraine’s second largest city Kharkiv and Sumy.
At the same time, the third round of talks between Russia and Ukraine was held on Monday. After the talks concluded, an adviser to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said modest progress had been made regarding the creation of a safe corridor. However, he did not share further details of the meeting.
The number of refugees crosses 17 lakhs
Meanwhile, the death toll in the war is not clear. Kharkiv region police said on Monday that 209 people had died there alone, 133 of them civilians. The UN refugee agency says that more than 17 million people have so far taken refuge in safe places, leaving war-torn Ukraine. Many others are trapped in the shelling in the cities. There is a shortage of food, water and medicines in Mariupol. Ukrainian authorities have reported a failure to evacuate civilians amid a devastating scene in the suburbs of Kyiv. Meanwhile, officials from both sides also plan to hold a third round of talks on Monday.
In the new ceasefire proposal, most of the exit routes are towards Russia or its ally Belarus. Ukrainian Deputy Prime Minister Irina Vereshchuk called the move “unacceptable”. Instead, the Ukrainian government proposed eight routes that would allow civilians access to Ukraine’s western regions with no Russian shelling. A Russian task force said the humanitarian corridors for the evacuation were announced at the request of French President Emmanuel Macron, who spoke to Russian President Vladimir Putin on Sunday. At present, it is not clear how long the ceasefire will remain in force and whether fighting will stop in areas beyond those mentioned in the task force’s statement.
The evacuation routes published by the Russian news agency ‘RIA Novosti’, quoted by the Ministry of Defense, show that Ukrainian citizens will be able to go to Russia and Belarus. The task force said the Russian military would monitor the ceasefire by drones. Meanwhile, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said, “If the aggression continues and Russia does not abandon its plans against Ukraine, we will need a new sanctions package.”