Now that you have welcomed your new puppy into the family, it’s time to make sure they are prepared for a happy and healthy life. What’s more, you need to be prepared to provide them with a happy and healthy life. What does this mean? Well, here are some of the top items to stock up on in 2023:
- Food and Treats: It’s important to feed your pup high-quality food and treats that are specific to their breed, size, and age. Make sure you choose food options with a good balance of proteins, carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals and other nutrients they need to stay healthy.
- Toys: Puppies love toys! Look for chew toys and interactive toys made specifically for puppies that will help keep them entertained but also help direct their chewing away from furniture and other items.
- Training Supplies: Training is an essential part of having a well-behaved puppy, and having the right supplies can help ensure success. This includes treats for rewards during training, sturdy leashes and collars to maintain control on walks, and an appropriate crate that’s big enough for your puppy to move around in.
- Grooming Supplies: Brushing and bathing your pup regularly will help keep their coat healthy and shiny. Get a brush that’s designed for puppies to avoid skin irritation, as well as a shampoo and conditioner made specifically for puppies. If your pup is a larger breed, consider investing in clippers to help make at-home grooming more manageable.
- Cleaning Supplies: As much as we love our canine friends, they can also make quite a mess. Stock up on cleaning supplies that will help you stay ahead of the fur and mess. This includes pet-safe detergents, cleaning cloths and vacuums with HEPA filters. If possible, we recommend PatLab’s carpet cleaner, which specialises in removing pet odors. As an enzyme cleaner, it’s a safe bet for cleaning up after your pup.
- Collars and Leashes: Properly fitting collars and leashes are a must for any puppy. Choose something that is comfortable for your pup, but also provides enough control. We recommend looking into adjustable collars with a breakaway function and reflective material. For the leash, look for something comfortable in your hand but also strong enough to handle any tugging from your puppy.
- Bedding: For your pup’s bedding, choose something comfortable and supportive. Look for options with orthopedic foam padding or memory foam mattresses. Make sure the bedding is machine washable and also avoid materials like cedar chips, which can be irritants to some dogs.
- Knowledge: If you’re new to having a puppy, do some research on dog training and socialisation. Knowing how to properly train your pup and provide them with the necessary stimulation will go a long way. Be sure to find up-to-date resources, as training methods have changed in recent years.
With this list, you can make sure you have everything your pup needs when they come home. Items to get include food and water bowls, pet-friendly shampoo, toys, treats, a bed or crate and a collar. Foam mattresses are recommended for bedding as they provide comfort for your pup. Remember to also research dog training and socialisation to make sure your pup is well-behaved and happy. With all this in place, you and your pup can have years of happy adventures together. Enjoy!